Sunday Dare, Minister of Youths and Sports Development, has said that the federal government will look into reports of harassment of youths by officers of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS).
There has been a general outcry recently over the harassment of youths by officers of the SARS unit of the Nigeria Police Force.
The reports and stories of brutality by SARS has birthed another #EndSARS movement on social media.
But Dare in a statement issued on Saturday by John Joshua-Akanji, Special Assistant to the Minister, said he had been observing reports of the attacks by SARS, saying relevant government agencies will investigate the incidents.
He assured Nigerian youths that his ministry has called for an immediate investigation to unravel the truth about SARS operations.
The statement read: “The ministry of youth and sports is worried about the menace, increasing harassments and attacks by SARS, especially targeted at youths and other innocent members of the public, and brought it to the attention of the relevant security agencies in Abuja.
“The minister who has also been monitoring the reports of alleged SARS harassment and attacks has called for an immediate investigation to unravel the truth.”
He assured that the government will look into the matter in order to protect the rights of Nigerians.
“The ministry wishes to assure that this government, through relevant security agencies, will step into the matter to protect our youths and the fundament human rights of every Nigerian,” the statement added.