Nigeria Newspaper

Another fresh xenophobic attack in south africa-3 injured.

Similar xenophobic attacks in September led to widespread outrage and diplomatic tensions between Nigeria and South Africa. September’s attacks left at least 10 dead and hundreds arrested by authorities for looting and burning down businesses (image used for illustrative purpose) [Pronews]

Reports have it that three Nigerians, among other foreign nationals, have on Tuesday, October 22, 2019, suffered from fresh xenophobic attacks on foreigners in different locations in South Africa.

The attacks which started in the early hours of the day was revealed on telephone to NAN by the National Spokesperson of the Nigeria Union, South Africa (NUSA), Mr Odefa Ikele.

Got Bitcoin? Exchange Now coinpaga

Tuesday’s attacks are coming following the efforts by Presidents Muhammadu Buhari and Cyril Ramaphosa to ensure they found amicable and lasting solution to xenophobia in South Africa.

Such peace efforts saw Buhari visiting Ramaphosa and holding a town hall meeting with the Nigerian community.

Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari (right) and South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa (left) met earlier in October to discuss September’s attacks and the welfare of Nigerians living in South Africa [Twitter/@GovNigeeria]

Odefa said: “Groups made up of community members and taxi drivers went to different areas in Witbank attacking foreign-owned businesses and foreigners.

“Three Nigerians are injured, but no death case for now. Some of our nationals are seeking refuge at Witbank Police Station,’’

According to NUSA, the affected Nigerians are still taking refuge at the police station at Witbank.

The details of the incident are still sketchy but NUSA also said that Police in the area have intervened and warned people to stay away from the Central Business District in the town.

One Comment

Leave a Reply

Got Bitcoin? Exchange Now
Back to top button